I had some family members coming over lunch this sunday. There was a quiet a bit of spread, chicken pepper fry, chana dal, chicken tikka curry, pualo and kele ka kofta. Since i learnt to make kele ka kofta from mum very recently and is quiet a hit with husband, thought will share with you all.
Raw bananas - 3/4
Garam masala powder
salt to taste
finely chopped green chillies (quantity depends on tolerance of heat, if you serving to kids, skip this)
finely chopped 1/2 inch ginger
1/2 tbs amchoor or chat masala powder
posto dana (optional)
oil for frying
Bay leaves -2/3
Cardamom -1 crushed
2 medium size onion, finely chopped or roughly grounded
ginger garlic paste - 1 tbps
Cumin powder -1 teaspoon
Dhaniya powder -1.5 teaspoon
red chilli powder
Salt to taste
2 tbps Oil
- For kofta, using a large pressure cooker , cook raw bananas (with skin on) for 2 whistles. Take off from heat, let it cool (10-15 mins)
- Once cool, peel the bananas, mash properly , add chillies, ginger, salt, chaat powder, garam masala and roll into small balls.
- Spread posto dana on to a small plate and roll these koftas on to it, remove excess.
- Heat oil in kadahi and fry these koftas till they nicely browned all over.
- Remove and keep aside on a kitchen towel to drain extra oil.
- In hot oil bay leaves and single crushed cardamom.
- Add onion, fry for 2-3 mins till it becomes slightly brown / golden.
- Add ginger - garlic paste and fry for 3-4 minute till it mixes well
- Add cumin, coriander, red chilli and turmeric powder , fry for 2-3 mins , add water if this masala sticks.
- Cover and let it cook for 5 mins on low heat.
- remover cover, add salt (be careful, as there is salt in koftas too) and water to form the gravy base.
- Let it come to boil
- Add half tea spoon of garam masla
- Cover and cook till gravy cooks completely(3-4 minutes) , turn off the heat
Couple of minutes before serving layer koftas in the serving bowl , add gravy on top , check for salt, serve piping hot with rice / pulao.