Friday 19 July 2013

Red cabbage soup

Its been raining continuously for the last 2 days and if you step out early in morning or late night you can feel a slight nip in the air. With this weather  I wanted to have soup for dinner and made myself red cabbage soup.

This is my sister's recipe and honestly when she offered me first time I was very skeptical, Purple food really?? But after my first taste I was hooked on to its earthy , hearty flavor and its my go to soup all the time .


You need
Serves 2 

Red cabbage - 1 medium size
Potato - 1/ 2 medium size
Cumin - half tea spoon
Garlic - 2/3 cloves
Salt to taste
Water - 1/2 ltr
Oil/ butter  - 1/2 teaspoon (optional)



Clean and cut cabbage into 6/8 pieces

Cut potato into 4 pieces

Heat a pressure cooker , add oil and cumin , cumin will splutter in 30 seconds in hot oil.
Add garlic cloves, potatoes, cabbage, and water .

Let it cook on medium heat for 2/3 whistle, in case you are cooking in a pot on stove cover and cook on medium heat for 30-40 minutes,  adjust water accordingly.

Once its cooked completely and slightly cool , blend this mixture completely (if you are using hand blender you can blend directly in cooker , just make sure its cool enough) , adjust water so it has a thick soup consistency.

Put it back on heat, add salt and bring it to boil.

Remove from heat and serve hot with garlic bread ....





No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews